Physiotherapy at your clinic visit
Specialist physiotherapists for Cystic Fibrosis will see you at every clinic/out-patient appointment that you have at the hospital. This is what you can expect from us during your clinic appointment.
At your clinic appointment we will go through a full assessment with you. This may include:
- Talking with you about how things have been since we last saw you
- Talking with you about your physiotherapy, exercise and nebuliser/inhaler routine at home and any problems with it
- Asking you questions about whether you have any problems that are common in people with CF like joint or continence problems
- Clinical tests like measuring lung function and taking sputum samples
- Discussing and making sure that you understand the results of these tests
- Discussing our assessment with the rest of the CF team so that they know about any problems and so that, as a team, we can work with you to make sure that you get the best treatment
- Discussing the options with you for any changes needed to your treatment
- Making sure that you know how to contact the CF team if needed before your next appointment
If needed and if we and you have time at your clinic appointment we may also:
- Check and, if needed, change your physiotherapy for your chest and let you know about any new treatments/devices available
- Check your nebulised and inhaled medications and equipment, make sure that you can use them without any problems and let you know about any new treatments/devices available
- Test any new inhaled medications with you to make sure that they are okay for you to take and that they are useful for you to take
- Provide you with a treatment chart detailing your home routine if you think that this would be useful for you
If there isn't time for this and it is needed, we will offer you an appointment to come back to the hospital to do this.
We may also:
- Refer you to a physiotherapist who is specialist in the right area if you need treatment for any joint, muscle, posture or continence problem
- Point you in the right direction for advice if you are having problems that we don't directly deal with (for example work problems, etc)
If at any time you are unhappy with your treatment or if you have ideas to improve the physiotherapy service that you get at the York Hull Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, then please let us know or, if you feel more comfortable speaking to another member of the CF team, then please let them know.